Thursday 30 April 2020

Album Reviews for Handsworth Revolution by Steel Pulse

"I’m old enough to have lived through the ‘Punk wars’, mid-teens, getting to end of school and discovering a musical scene that was mine not someone else’s. Attending gigs then, the obligatory pre-gig soundtrack was reggae. It was quite an experience to encounter wall shaking dub records for the first time. But I didn’t know enough about it to understand the themes or the patois. Steel Pulse arrived, they were from up the road, so I was getting to hear their records being played. They sang in clear tones that I could decipher and in that clearer Bob Marley style which I had heard before and liked. Brummies talking about empowerment, freedom, religion, peace, racism. Its got some great tunes, wonderful harmonies and a message. I was in".
-Marek

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment it will appear on the blog shortly (if it's suitable for a family audience).